The image contains a quote "little by little one travels far" by JRR Tolkien
Beth's Box

In search of a level 10 life?

21st November 2019

This post contains affiliate links.  Please see the end of the post for details.

As the last 12 months have passed, I have made significant improvements in my life and how I see myself, however I also understand that self-development never ends.  Currently, I have limitations on my time that dictate which improvements I can make.  But I would like to develop all aspects of myself and my life further over time.

A few weeks ago while looking at self-development planners, I came across something called Level 10 Life.  I believe it’s a concept that has been adapted throughout the self-development world that was popularised by Hal Elrod in his The Miracle Morning.  I came across it here most recently.

When I initially came across it last year, I brushed it of as a bit of a ‘trendy fad’ but maybe I was being too cynical (and quick to judge). I mean, it has obviously inspired something in me – I’ve currently writing about it.

The image contains the quote "at the end of the day who you are is completely up to you"

What is Level 10 Life?

The idea of the Level 10 Life is to look at ten different areas of your life and give them a score out of ten.  It’s important not to umm and arr about… just make a gut judgement (I’ll come back to the word ‘judgement’ later in the post.)

Importantly, for me, it’s doesn’t appear to be a full-on happiness tracker… it could simply be a tool to help figure out exactly where the most attention is required.

The areas are (I have adjusted them slightly to make them more meaningful to me):

1. Relationship
  2. Family & Friends
  3. Spirituality
  4. Health & Fitness
  5. Hobbies and Creativity
  6. Business
  7. Finances
  8. Personal Development
  9. Giving & Contribution
  10. Physical Environment

An example of my level 10 life chart in my planner

It was a great exercise for me to work out which areas of my life I consider to be unsatisfactory.  However, I’m not naïve enough to think that mastering these areas will make, and keep, me happy.  If we do believe it will then we’ve sort of missed the point because “life is apparently nothing but bobbing up and down and around  our level-seven happiness” according to Mark Manson in Everything is Fucked.  Yes, things make us happy (level 10) or sad (level 2/3) but we soon revert to our comfortable level 7 lives.

The biggest issue I have had with the concept of the Level 10 life is that I’m making a judgement call and judging is a standard, but often shitty, human thing to do.  Everyone is guilty of making judgement calls and being negative about people. We are constantly being told that we shouldn’t judge ourselves and other so harshly etc, however the level 10 life is based on judging ourselves and our lives.  I’m sure that if you are bobbing around that comfortable level seven it is an effective way to work out where to channel your energy.  However, I’m not certain it will do you any favours if you’re at the extremes.

**The book titles link to Amazon through my Amazon associates account.  If you click on these links and make a purchase (depending on your browser’s cookie settings) I will receive a small commission.  This DOES NOT cost you anything extra.*

Fran Back With A Bump
    25th November 2019 at 10:54 am

I’ve never heard of this before but it makes sense and all sounds good. Organisation and sorting out priorities is definitely a big help to making life flow a little smoother!

Jenni
    23rd November 2019 at 10:28 pm

This sounds like an interesting exercise to do, I hadn’t heard of it before. Maybe I will give it a go.

24th November 2019 at 10:45 am

It is great to just see where you want to focus on… I’m currently trying to find out more about it.

Sarah Howe
    22nd November 2019 at 7:15 pm

This sounds like a brilliant thing. to do! It m just really make you sit and think about all aspects of your life, which we don’t do when so busy!!

24th November 2019 at 10:45 am

You’re right! I don’t think we do it enough!

Rowena Corderoy
    22nd November 2019 at 7:09 pm

wow I have never heard of this! I need to look into it and give it ago. Good for my wellbeing!

24th November 2019 at 10:46 am

It is… It’s not something to do when you feel negative about yourself though.

Natalia
    22nd November 2019 at 5:00 pm

This sounds like a really interesting exercise! A great way to evaluate your life and what’s important

24th November 2019 at 10:47 am

Yes, it’s about what you place a value on really… At the moment my personal development and spirituality for me.

Talya Stone
    22nd November 2019 at 3:52 pm

Interesting I’ve not heard of this concept before but it does sound intriguing so I’m going to investigate further! The only issue with is you’re at level 10 there’s nowhere to go from there?

24th November 2019 at 10:47 am

Great question, Talya, the point is that no-one ever reaches that level 10… you just get better… you just improve… but there’s always going to be something small you can work on.

Lyndsey O'Halloran
    21st November 2019 at 10:31 pm

I think that’s a really interesting way to look at things. It would be interesting to see how mine looked.

Rachel
    21st November 2019 at 9:50 pm

Hmm interesting. I’m not sure I really understand the focus of Level 10. I guess it’s just allowing you to visualise what we need to work on but we are always changing and growing so our focus does too. I have goals I want to aim for but I like to mind map as my visual board.

24th November 2019 at 10:49 am

Mind-mapping is great too…

I have a vision of where I would like to get to right now… I’m finding out more about it.

Treasure Every Moment
    21st November 2019 at 2:53 pm

What an interesting exercise to do – I would be really interested to see where my strong areas are and it would highlight ones I need to work on too 🙂

24th November 2019 at 10:49 am

It really does… My focus is on my personal development and spirituality.