Beth's Box

#BloggersinWales – An Interview with, erm, Me

29th April 2018

I’ve been running the Bloggers in Wales link up for yonks.  Longer than I can remember.  It’s essentially a directory for Bloggers with a connection to Wales.  However, I want to turn our directory into a community and this post is going to be my first step in producing a little community.

Today, I’m launching the first monthly link up for #BloggersinWales.

It’s going to be a little bit of a strange first one because I’m essentially going to be interviewing myself.

So, first to take the #BloggersinWales stage, is me, Beth.  I blog at BethinaBox.com.

A bit about me and my blog

The great start is that you’re already here on my blog but for the sake of being thorough.

I am Beth, a 30-something Mum of 5.  I’m a Mum first and foremost, followed closely by wife, cleaner, cook, taxi driver, laundress, bouncer, counsellor, nurse, and general dogsbody.  When I actually have time for hobbies, I enjoy blogging, reading, writing and family history research.  I NEED to keep my brain active and find parenting dull on times.  That being said I adore my children and wouldn’t change my life for the world.

Beth in a Box is developing at the moment.  I’m not sure where it’s going but I would like to move away from the parenting niche and into more a hobbies and general interest blog.  I don’t see that happening completely for quite some time though.

Beth in a Box can also be found on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube.

What is my connection to Wales?

I was born in Wales and grew up in the post Thatcher South Wales mining valleys.  I now live in between the Severn Bridges (not the water bit though).  I always thought my family were Welsh through and through but it actually turns out that I have just as much English blood as I do Welsh (probably with a bit of Mediterranean blood too).

Am I a Welsh speaker?

Sadly, I am not.  Currently I do have 2 bilingual English/Welsh children and will hopefully have at least one more.

I’m envious of my children being bilingual and have bilingual great grandparents but by the time my parents were born that Welsh was lost.

What is my favourite thing about Wales?

My favourite thing about Wales is the sheer number of castles and ancient churches there are to explore.  I love a good castle and living in Wales there’s no shortage of them.  It really is amazing, I only wish my family shared my enthusiasm.

What is my least favourite thing about Wales?

I can’t really say there’s anything about Wales I don’t like.  I wish our economy was better but really speaking, living in Wales, we’re incredibly lucky to have the heritage and culture we do.

Do I have a special place in Wales?

Yes, I do have a special place in Wales.  Stackpole in Pembrokeshire. It was the place that helped me and Jim put the spark back into our relationship.  We love it so much that we decided to go back there on our honeymoon.  We have some amazing memories there.

What is my most special blogging memory?  It doesn’t have to be Wales related.

My best blogging memory.  It has to be participating in the National Trust’s 50 things to do campaign.  We were filmed at 4 different properties throughout the spring of 2013: Tredegar House, Stackpole, Erddig, and Rhossili Bay.   It was an incredible experience and I absolutely would love to do it again.

So, after learning about me, here is the first Official #BloggersinWales link up.

If you would like to be featured as a blogger in Wales let me know, either in the comments or by email.

Bloggers in Wales

What do you need to do to join in?

• The linky runs from Sunday 29th April until 11.59pm on Saturday 26th
  • Feel free to link up any 2 posts – one relating to Wales and the other is a free for all.
  • Please, please, please comment on other posts in the link up. Otherwise the idea of creating a community isn’t going to work.
  • Grab the badge and pop it in your linked post(s). This one is more of a request than a ‘you must do’ but it would be great to help other people find our community.

You Might Also Like...

Siobhan | The Baby Boat Diaries
    5th May 2018 at 9:04 am

What a great linky! Hopefully you get more Welsh bloggers grasping at the opportunity to join in! x

Rachel
    1st May 2018 at 6:03 pm

Great to get to know you abit more! Love that your children are bilingual – what a skill!

Annette, 3 Little Buttons
    30th April 2018 at 10:12 pm

Hi Beth! *Waves from over here in London. I LOVE Wales and especially Pembrokeshire. The beaches are so swoon inducing. Lovely to find out more about you x

Cliona
    30th April 2018 at 8:29 pm

I’ve always wanted to go to Wales, it looks so beautiful and being Irish, I always feel an affinity with other places that have a Celtic connection. I don’t speak Irish but I would love to be able to!

Rhian Westbury
    30th April 2018 at 6:47 pm

Wow a mum of 5, she must be really busy. It’s always nice to promote and talk about local bloggers x

30th April 2018 at 7:15 pm

I am really busy.. but always have time to blog. 😀

Tracy
    30th April 2018 at 8:08 am

What a fabulous idea! I bet there’s loads of other Welsh bloggers! I know what you mean about being jealous of your kids being bilingual – I do speak Swedish but my kids are fluent and they can jump between languages as easy as breathing!

30th April 2018 at 7:08 pm

There are loads of Welsh bloggers. The trouble is finding half of them. Haha! My oldest two can jump from one language to the other too. Sometimes we get half a sentence in English, the other half in Welsh! Haha!

Alex
    29th April 2018 at 9:10 pm

Fab read it’s good to find out more about you! I’ve never actually been to Wales but I’d really love to explore the castles 🙂

30th April 2018 at 7:09 pm

There are more castles in Wales than anywhere I’ve been. Wales has a great history too. 🙂

Lisa (Travel Loving Family)
    29th April 2018 at 9:03 pm

Great to get to know you better! We are huge fans of exploring castles in Wales too.

30th April 2018 at 7:10 pm

You can’t beat a good Welsh castle, can you?

Laura Dove
    29th April 2018 at 9:01 pm

oh I love this! What a great way to showcase local bloggers! I love Pembrokeshire, we plan on going back this Summer!

30th April 2018 at 7:11 pm

I think we can often forget about the local ones in this massive world of blogging. I want to build more local connections.

Pati
    29th April 2018 at 8:13 pm

That was such a fantastic read! I loved fining more about you Its so good to see fellow Welsh bloggers xx

30th April 2018 at 7:11 pm

Ahhh, I didn’t realise you were Welsh too! 🙂 If you want to feature in a future #BloggersinWales please let me know. 😀

Tooting Mama
    29th April 2018 at 7:58 pm

This is a great way to support other bloggers. But blimey five kids and you have time to blog – you are awesome!

30th April 2018 at 7:12 pm

Thanks hun, I’m not that awesome. Blogging takes up a lot of my free time.