Home & Lifestyle

5 things to do if you don’t want to grow old gracefully

12th March 2018
This is a collaborative post!

I’ve always said I’m going to grow old gracefully.  You know that whole letting my hair go grey, not worrying too much about wrinkle or saggy you-know-whats.  However, given that I’ve reached the grand old age of 31.5 years and the first hints of grey seem to be appearing, I’ve actually decided against growing old gracefully.  I don’t want to be a silver-haired 40-year-old.  I mean, I quite like my husband’s sprinkling of greys, it makes him look more distinguished.  In all honesty, I really don’t think grey is my colour.

I’ve been thinking of ways to stop the aging process (age, you suck!) and have come up with 5 handy things to do if you don’t want to grow old gracefully (like me).

Colour your hair

Seriously, the easiest way to make yourself appear younger is to hide those greys behind a luxurious full-coloured hair dye.  I haven’t dyed my hair in over 9 years and I’m a brunette so grey really shows up.  I’m debating whether to go a completely crazy colour (snot green, anyone?) or to stick to a more subtle brown.  Don’t forget, Blokes, you can dye your hair too.

Hair transplants

Did you know that age-related hair loss affects women as well as men?  No?  Neither did I until some kind (yeah right!) person informed me.  It does though, Google confirmed it for me.  There’s a number of treatments available for hair loss including hair transplants and a new technique called Advanced Tricho Pigmentation treatment.  It essentially replicates the look of hair follicles after a shave.  Rather ingenious, don’t you agree?  I don’t think this is something I have to worry about just yet as all the women in my family have always had a head full of hair.  Still, it’s always handy to know.

Invest in an anti-aging cream

Anti-aging cream is heavily marketed towards women, but it probably has just the same effect on men.  I, personally, have no idea if it works but, in the battle against my aging body, I’m willing to try anything.  Now, I just have to find one in my price range that has great reviews.

Treat your Teeth

Teeth are something that’s really important to me.  Mine aren’t great because I have rubbish gums but I like to take care of my teeth.  As you get older, your teeth become stained and yellowed.  Sadly, it’s just another age thing.  Why not treat them to a little whitening treatment?  You’ve got nothing to lose and you’ll have a dazzling smile.http://amzn.to/2IoJt4g

Drink plenty of water

This is kind of an odd one.  It’s a well known fact that water helps your skin in more ways than one.  Skin’s elasticity is helped by staying well hydrated.  Heck, increasing your water intake helps your body to flush toxins.  A well-hydrated body is a happy body.

Do you want to grow old gracefully or are you doing everything you can to slow down the aging process?  Do you have any great tips for keeping yourself looking young?

You Might Also Like...

Kerry norris
    20th March 2018 at 8:03 pm

Great tips. I was laughing out loud as I’ve actually got anti aging cream on my birthday list lol x

Elizabeth
    20th March 2018 at 7:40 am

Water and exercise I think are the two most important things to keeping that youthful appearance. That and good genes! 🙂

Mudpie Fridays
    19th March 2018 at 9:06 pm

I have been dying my hair for several years now as I started going grey at 27!! Teeth are on my list before I turn 40 in 18 months they need straightening and whitening. I have no intention of growing old particularly gracefully!! xx

Jenny
    19th March 2018 at 8:26 pm

Great tips. I definitely need to drink more water, I’m terrible at it (and probably the reason I look haggard!!)

Emily Leary
    19th March 2018 at 4:25 pm

I drink a lot of water, sometimes hot, sometimes cold. and I definitely won’t flinch from dyeing my hair, whitening my teeth or trying out some of the many anti-wrinkle products on the market!

Katy Stevens
    19th March 2018 at 10:48 am

At the moment I still think I’m going to grow old gracefully, however, when I hit my 30s next month I might change my mind! I’d definitely dye my hair!

19th March 2018 at 2:07 pm

I have always said I’ll grow old gracefully but now I’m starting to change my mind. Happy birthday for next month.

Laura Dove
    18th March 2018 at 9:32 pm

I am terrible for not drinking enough water and as a result my skin is SO dehydrated!! I really need to up my intake and take better care of myself!

19th March 2018 at 2:19 pm

I agree. The way I remember to drink more water is to drink a glass each time I go to the kitchen… I’m in there at least a hundred times a day.

Cal at Family Makes
    18th March 2018 at 6:21 pm

I fear it’s a little too late for me, the ravages of time have me firmly in their grip!! I do still colour my hair though, and have long been attempting to stave off wrinkles with various lotions and potions. It’s hard to know if I’d be this wrinkly anyway if I hadn’t done these things, but I wonder if it’s a bit ‘Emperor’s New Clothes’?

19th March 2018 at 2:13 pm

I think that’s part of the problem – we don’t know how we’d look naturally once we’ve started using things.

Rachael
    18th March 2018 at 12:55 pm

I’m definitely going to continue dying my hair, even when I’m getting old. I’ve got no problems with having snot green hair!

19th March 2018 at 2:11 pm

I don’t have a problem with snot green! Haha… it’s the only way I actually try to describe the colour… everyone gets it then! Lol

Ondo Lady
    18th March 2018 at 9:48 am

I have always wanted a teeth whitening treatment so that is something I will consider.

19th March 2018 at 2:08 pm

The teeth whitening appeals to me too… 🙂

Ger (It's Me & Ethan)
    18th March 2018 at 10:40 am

Growing old gracefully is definitely in my plan ! Some great tips here not to mention the good ol water , I keep telling myself to drink more but ….I will. I can !!!

19th March 2018 at 2:09 pm

Definitely drink more water! It’ll certainly help with the aging process.

Rachel
    18th March 2018 at 10:40 am

Love the title of this post! Some useful tips, thank you!

19th March 2018 at 2:09 pm

No problem. I’m glad you liked the post!

Jenny
    18th March 2018 at 6:01 am

Hope to grow old gracefully. We’ll see if i stick to it.

18th March 2018 at 7:03 am

I’m really having second thoughts at the moment! Haha!

Claire
    17th March 2018 at 9:13 pm

Great tips. I always colour my hair but forget to drink lots of water. Something I keep trying to remember but only think of it when I get a headache.

17th March 2018 at 9:30 pm

I’m the same with water half the time. Most of my headaches are probably caused by not drinking enough.

Cardiff Mummy Says - Cathryn
    17th March 2018 at 2:21 pm

A male friend of mine had a hair transplant because his receding hairline was getting to him so much.. Water and a healthy diet helps me so much – I can see the impact on my skin straight away if I don’t drink enough water and eat really badly. Also a good night’s sleep really does make such a difference.

17th March 2018 at 3:22 pm

Oooh, a good night’s sleep. Why didn’t I think of that one? That’s a fab tip.

Sophia Ford
    17th March 2018 at 10:54 am

Drinking enough water is SO important! Not just to keep our hair, skin and nails looking tip-top. We need it to survive! 🙂

17th March 2018 at 3:25 pm

Water is indeed vital. Great point Sophia! 🙂

Sim @ Sim's Life
    17th March 2018 at 10:48 am

You’ve only noticed grey hairs at the age of 31.5 years? You lucky bugger! 😉 Some fabulous tips and you know I am a huge advocate of drinking water! 🙂 Sim x

17th March 2018 at 3:27 pm

Haha! I haven’t coloured my hair in over 9 years. The greys have been poking through for a while now but now they’re getting more difficult to hide.

Danielle (Someone's Mum)
    16th March 2018 at 5:08 pm

I am far too lazy to do anything to try to slow the savage onslaught of time. I have grey hair in my eyebrows though so may have to dye that if they turn white before my hair!

17th March 2018 at 3:32 pm

Danielle, you’ve echoed how I think I’m still going to be… I don’t think I’m actually that keen to stop myself growing old.

Suzy McCullough
    16th March 2018 at 5:03 pm

Thank you for your tips. I will certainly take them on board. I’d love to grow old more gracefully. Drinking water is certainly something that I hope will help and I really need a better anti wrinkle cream

17th March 2018 at 3:34 pm

Drinking plenty of water is a great anti-aging remedy. It really brightens the skin.