Why Macsen won’t be putting Play Doh in his ear again!

Why Macsen won’t be putting Play Doh in his ear again!

Following on from last week’s story, you know, when Macsen put Play Doh in his ear, I am pleased to report that his ear is now Play Doh free. 

I was rather naive about exactly what the process entailed.  I was under the impression that we would arrive, Macsen would be checked over and then popped under a general while they quickly removed the foreign body.  I, stupidly, assumed we’d be done by lunch time; I didn’t even give a thought to the recovery time or how he would feel post anaesthetic. I will be honest though; he was a champ from start to finish!  I was also very lucky to have my Mam with me to help with Enfys and Anwen and offer some moral support.


The Arrival

We arrived at 10.30am on Sapphire Ward which is the Paediatric Surgical ward of our main hospital.  I was anxious on arrival as my experience with the other paeds ward wasn’t fantastic.  There was no need to be concerned though, they were fantastic.

Macsen was thrilled at the prospect of having his own bed and promptly spread the collection of dinosaurs he had brought from home across it.  He enjoyed the experience of having his muscles measured, or as we would call it, a blood pressure check.  When informed that his muscles must be bigger than Daddy’s muscles, he was very pleased.

I worried that his speech delay would cause him problems and he would get frustrated and play up.  

With him being nil by mouth from 7am, another problem I had as time wore on was keeping him occupied so he wouldn’t think of his stomach.  It was shortly after lunch was served across the rest of the ward that Macsen remembered that he hadn’t had his lunch.  By 1.30, we were getting regular comments of “I ‘ungy” from him.  He was easily placated with a promise of a yummy chocolate cake once it was all over.  

The Procedure

He finally had a ride on the special bed at around 1.45pm.  The trip from level 6 to level 3 in a lift was an experience of a lifetime for him.  

Once we were in the room with the surgical team and ready for the anaesthetic my nerves began to get the better of me.  It was very different to the experience of watching a 4.5 month old Enfys go to sleep.  Macsen was bouncing, his adrenaline must have been pumping like crazy.  

Fortunately, the team decided to go straight in with the mask rather than a drip due to his level of excitement.  I can’t express how grateful I was for this.  

This is the point where I lost my head… in a hysterical kind of way… I couldn’t stop laughing.  

Macsen attempted to eat the strawberry smelling gas and he looked like a frog catching a fly.  Within a few seconds, actually I have no idea how long, Macsen went from Mr Energy to a delirious drunk.  You know the laughing emoji?  That was me.

I gave him a quick kiss and flew up the 6 flights of stairs to head back to Mam and the girls.  If I could breath, I would have still been laughing.  With a quick word to the nurse, we went for a cuppa. 

The Aftermath

It was while in the restaurant that one of my fears was realised… I didn’t actually realise it was a fear until that moment.  Macsen had woken up in recovery, without me and surrounded by strangers. 

When I arrived, he was having a cwtch with the recovery nurse and felt a little groggy.  He told me he loved me but other than that he was pretty grumpy. 

On our return to the ward he cwtched in bed for a bit, had a drink of water. When certain he could keep it down, he devoured some jam toast (coincidentally, his favourite thing to eat at the moment).

A little over an hour later, Macsen was deemed safe to go home and we took our leave. 

It was a long day but Macsen was a champ, the two girls were amazing while me and Mam were exhausted. 

I can safely say that Macsen won’t be putting Play Doh in his ear again.