Book Reviews

Christmas Gift Guide – Brilliant Books for Children

21st November 2017

Here’s for another edition of this year’s Christmas Gift Guide.  This time we’re talking about brilliant books for kids. My children love a good book and books are an absolutely brilliant gifts to give at Christmas. 🙂

Diary of a Wimpy Kid – The Getaway

An image of the cover of Diary of a Wimpy Kid The Getaway

The Diary of a Wimpy Kid books are huge hits in our house.  We really do love them.  The films are fab too and it was the film Dog Days that first introduced us to the stories.

The newest DoaWK adventure is out now.  The thing I love about the Heffleys is that their best laid plans always seem to go awry.  In this adventure they plan a holiday to escape the stress of Christmas.  Naturally, it doesn’t go to plan and they all end up far more stressed than they would have had they stayed home.

You can buy Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Getaway from Amazon.

My Golden Ticket

My Golden Ticket is a fantastic collaboration between Wonderbly and Roald Dahl.

The personalisation of the story is super brilliant and no two stories are the same!

Join in with the adventure, from finding your golden ticket, through a tour of Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory before finally creating your very own sweet treat.

I have written a full review of My Golden Ticket on the blog.  You can even win your own personalised copy.

The Christmasaurus

A banner of Tom Fletcher's book, The Christmasaurus.Seren has just acquired this book.  She is beginning to really love reading and when I told her she could choose a book rather than a toy she picked up Tom Fletcher’s The Christmasaurus.

All I knew about the book is who wrote it.  It looks amazing though.

Heading off on a Christmas Eve adventure with William Trundle, Santa and a Dinosaur is sure to set your imagination into action.

You can buy The Christmasaurus by clicking here.

Where’s Macsen?

We really love itsyourstory.co.uk personalised books.   This beautiful personalised Christmas story featuring your own child is a truly lovely story of the mischievousness of Christmas morning.

Your child can go on their own little adventure around the house doing things they really shouldn’t.  Better still they can see their face in the book.

Children’s meditations – In my heart

The cover image of 'Children's meditations In my Heart'

We were sent this book to review and instantly I was struck by the beautiful, relaxing cover.

Written by Danish author, Gitte Winter Graugaard, the heart of the book is a love of time together.

And with Denmark being the world’s happiest country, surely it’s no surprise that Children’s meditations In my heart is such a popular bedtime book.  We’re all striving to achieve what Denmark already has.

Gitte’s book is quickly becoming a firm bedtime favourite in our house.

You can buy the book here.

From 1 to 10 with Enfys and From A to Z with Enfys

This Early Learning bundle from itsyourstory.co.uk is the perfect gift for your pre-schooler this Christmas.  Not only is it personalised with your child’s name (which isn’t Enfys) but your child’s face can feature on most pages within the books.

We love them.  They provide Enfys with a truly unique learning experience and she just loves to turn the pages to see the next counting and alphabet adventure.

munchies and munchkins
    28th November 2017 at 10:42 am

I’ve heard lots of good things about the Tom Fletcher book and thanks for the ideas on the other books too, some I hadn’t heard of. My girls love reading and they always get at least two books at christmas.

Fashion and Style Police
    24th November 2017 at 5:50 pm

I love the look of these books. My kids would love them too.

Michelle Kellogg
    24th November 2017 at 3:36 pm

I got my son the Diary of a Wimpy Kid book but I would love to get the mediation one as well. I’ve been trying to get my boys to meditate with me but my efforts have been met with glares and ugh’s lol. This book looks like something I could try:)

Anosa
    23rd November 2017 at 12:19 pm

Such a great selection of books, my nephew has some of these and looks them.

Sophie's Nursery
    23rd November 2017 at 9:07 am

Ah love how many of these are personalised 🙂 We still haven’t invested in one for Sophie so will have to get her one! x

suzy Mccullough
    22nd November 2017 at 8:28 pm

You have just reminded me to order Jamie’s tree books. We put a few under every year. I have heard great things about quite a few of these books. I shall look into the others thank you

Newcastle Family Life
    22nd November 2017 at 8:56 pm

What a great selection, we have three of these books and my children really like them x

Heidi Brown
    22nd November 2017 at 7:21 pm

I’ve just put together my first book advent. Finlay is still a bit young so he is on the little tiddler books, but I can’t wait until he is old enough for the Christmasaurus, looks great!

Helen
    22nd November 2017 at 4:23 pm

We also have the Golden Ticket book and it is incredible! The illustrations are so magical 🙂

Emma
    22nd November 2017 at 11:46 am

I’ve heard a lot about Tom Fletcher’s works. I’ll have to find one of his books for the boys. I love the meditation book as well. What a brilliant idea!

Rhian Westbury
    22nd November 2017 at 9:22 am

I kind of want to read the Tom Fletcher one myself as he’s such a funny guy x

Katie
    22nd November 2017 at 7:58 am

I love giving books for Christmas. Some really cute picks here!

Katie xoxo

Jenni
    22nd November 2017 at 12:08 am

I love giving books as gifts. Last year we did an Advent book calendar.

Lyndsey O'Halloran
    21st November 2017 at 9:53 pm

Last year we did Erin a book advent. I think it’s so important to give books for Christmas. Some are so magical too.

22nd November 2017 at 10:18 am

I love giving books as gifts. It’s great now Seren has discovered her love of reading! 😀