Uncategorised

Do children need Mobile Phones?

9th May 2015

I have a confession.

My 9 year old is the proud owner of a mobile phone.

Three weeks ago I made the decision to buy Boyo a mobile phone.  After protesting for the last year about how he didn’t need one, I relented.  It was a difficult decision and one I did not make lightly.  I agonised over what it would mean for us.

Recently, the council have created a park at the end of our road on the playing field.  It is out of sight of our house but Boyo and Princess Pants want to be at the park whenever they have a free five minutes.  It is this reason I bought Boyo a mobile phone.  If anything happens he can contact me; if I have a Mummy panic and need to make sure they are okay, I can!  Not only that but I can text Boyo to come home for dinner.

mobile phoneBoyo loves his phone.  He doesn’t care that it only cost £10; he doesn’t care that it can only make calls, receive calls, send and receive texts.  He loves it because it is his phone and he can listen to the radio… it even has a torch.

Before buying the phone I weighed everything up.  There were things that were important to me such as:

1. It has no camera – Cameras can be abused. We’ve all heard how cameras can be abused and I did not want to allow any room for abuse.  This sort of leads onto my next point.
  2. It doesn’t have any apps – Again, the ability to download apps can lead to abuse. I certainly do not want my 9 year old having a Twitter/Facebook/Instagram account.   In fact the phone has no internet capabilities at all.
  3. It is completely undesirable – Desirable phones may get stolen and cause other problems. At least with an undesirable mobile phone it is less likely to get stolen/cause Boyo to get beaten up for it/etc. etc.

We set boundaries for the mobile phone usage.  In fact the boundaries are tight – he only uses the phone to contact me.

Buying your child their first mobile phone is a difficult decision, but Family Lives has a great article discussing if your child really does need a mobile phone.

Have you bought your child their first mobile phone?  If so, what boundaries did you set?

Parenting Linky

5 things to remember when your child is going abroad with school - Beth in a Box
    23rd November 2017 at 11:04 pm

[…] Hobbies & Leisure […]

Michelle Murray
    20th May 2015 at 10:46 pm

Beth, My son has a phone and to be honest whilst it was a tough choice at first now I won’t let him leave home without it. He is slightly older now but has had one since he was around 9 too. i think unfortunately the world we live in nowadays isn’t as safe as it once was so a mobile just makes me feel that big J is that little bit safer Thanks for linking up – Parenting – #ToddlersAndTeens

Annie B
    16th May 2015 at 11:34 am

There are so many people who say “in the ‘old’ days kids didn’t have phones but we’re in today’s world which looks very different.
    I’m not in a position to make (on have an strong opinion) on these matters right now with oldest being 3 (that’s too young right?) but I feel like when I do have to think about it, you have raised the most valid reason why and the best reasons why not the latest tech.

18th May 2015 at 7:56 pm

Today, life is very very different. Even the lifestyles we have would have been unimaginable to my parents. Although, even my mum is relieved Boyo has a phone!
      I think as soon as we become parents though we are entitled to start formulating opinions on everything we will come across in the future.

Thank you for stopping by! 🙂

Paola
    12th May 2015 at 9:06 pm

I agree that a child should have a phone, for safety reasons! BUT…. I would not allow the phone to have access to the internet, it would purely be a communication tool.

myunsettlinglife.blogspot.co.uk

12th May 2015 at 9:21 pm

That is exactly why we chose the £10 phone for Boyo. Internet access at his age is limited to the house.

Rebecca
    12th May 2015 at 8:50 pm

thwnk you for the post! I think they do need phones but not as high tech as ours.

12th May 2015 at 9:19 pm

I know what you mean… It’s such an important safety aspect, in fact I don’t even know how my parents let me out without one. :s