Summer is synonymous with picnics and garden parties… but sometimes it is hard to find easy foods to include in your picnic basket. Organix have created a few great ideas for picnic or party food that I just HAVE to share.
Cocktail sausages are a staple at a kid’s party or picnic, but they can contain poor quality meat and lots of other ‘junk’ ingredients. This recipe offers a simple nutritious alternative, we hope you love it.
Makes 30 cocktail sausages
• 1 large or 2 small leeks
• 1 red onion
• Some olive oil for frying/greasing
• 100g feta cheese
• 30g parmesan cheese
• 2 tsps dried mixed herbs
• 500g pork mince
- Top and tail the leek(s) and chop finely into very small pieces. Peel the red onion and finely chop
- Saute the leek and red onion over a low heat in a little olive oil until soft. Tip onto a plate and allow to cool
- In a large bowl grate the parmesan and crumble the feta, then combine all the ingredients together until evenly mixed. You can do this by hand, or using the ‘pulse’ setting on a food processor. Ensure it is well combined, but don’t over process
- Line a baking tray with grease proof paper and a little olive oil, and pre-heat the oven to 180°C fan / 200°C / gas 6
- With clean and slightly damp hands, shape the mixture into sausage shapes. Spread out evenly over the baking tray and brush the top of each sausage with a little oil
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes until cooked through – cut one in half to check cooked right through
- Allow to cool and serve
- Serve on cocktail sticks with salad and other picnic / party nibbles.